Premature ejaculation is a common sexual problem, especially for young men, in which a man reaches orgasm and ejaculates with minimum stimulation, just before or shortly after penetration. The problem is mainly due to excitement and/or anxiety and often occurs at the start of a new relationship which usually resolves itself over time. However, recurrent premature ejaculation can be physically and emotionally frustrating for both partners and may harm a relationship. Stress and depression aggravates the condition and some men are soo anxious they become impotent but rarely is premature ejaculation caused by your prostate or your nervous system.
Self Help Tips
- If you are in a long term relationship, share your feelings with your partner. Discuss the problem calmly and good naturedly when you are not engaged in sex. Don’t blame yourself or feel guilty.
- Some men find wearing a condom dulls sensation sufficiently, so as to delay ejaculation. There are some types of condoms that has a desensitising lubricant inside which contains a mild topical anaesthetic. These maybe more effective but don’t try using anaesthetic gel without a condom – it will reduce sensation in your partner too.
- Focus your attention on your partner’s pleasure during foreplay and delay penetration for as long as possible. If your partner is close to or has reached orgasm before penetration, you will both feel less anxious about premature ejaculation.
- During intercourse, distract yourself by thinking about something totally unrelated and rather dull ~ think about work or count in fives.
- Try experimenting with different sexual positions. Having your partner on top, for example, may be less stimulating and may help you delay ejaculation.
- Try using the squeeze technique, to help you control ejaculation ~ When you feel you are about to ejaculate, use your thumb and forefinger to squeeze the shaft of your penis, just below the head, on the upper and lower sides. This causes your erection to be partially lost, temporarily preventing ejaculation.
- Practise the squeeze technique regularly and you will achieve great control over your ejaculation, this in turn will boost your sexual confidence until eventually, you will no longer require the technique.
- Seek advice from your doctor or a sex expert if you continue to experience premature ejaculation after following the above advice